48 King Street


ARCHITECTURE

Italianate

Hepburn”, No. 48 (previously was no. 92) King Street is a set of four terrace houses constructed in limestone and brickwork with rendered Italianate features- elaborate frontages to simple working class houses.. Four single-storey terraced houses of brick construction with rendered frontages and low pitched, skillion, corrugated iron roofs have recessed frontages enclosed by a timber picket fence. The roof line is concealed by a highly ornate parapet that includes the names of the four terraces - Hepburn, Glenlyon, Kyneton & Daylesford.

Each house is asymmetrically planned with an offset door flanked by a window. The entry doors have a hopper light and side lights. The window is a single pane double hung sash with sidelights. All openings have brick quoins. The houses are articulated with dividing party walls and tall pediments.

The place is consistent with the pattern of development in Plympton and plays an important role in the pattern of development of a working class suburb.

HISTORY

1918 Birth at 92 King-street, East Fremantle, to Mr. and Mrs. W. Mackay (nee Small) a daughter. Both well. (reference)

1964 Bankruptcy- Nickolas John Derich, steel fixer, of Canning highway, Applecross, lately residing at 48 King-street, East Fremantle. (reference)

RESIDENTS

1912 - 1915: Field, Charles H.

1916: Dunstan, Edgar

1917: King, Edwin J.

1918 - 1921: Mackay, W. M.

1922: Myers, Harry Jacob

1923 - 1925: Walker, Erskine M.

1927 - 1928: Edberg, Oscar G.

1929 - 1932: Bartle, Clarence

1933 - 1934: Rowley, A.

1934 - 1935: Harry, F.

1935 - 1937: Vacant

1937 - 1938: George, Frederick

1938 - 1942: Faulkner, Mrs A.

1942 - 1944: Butchart, Mrs T.

1964: Nickolas John Derich

 

CONTRIBUTE YOUR STORIES OR IMAGES BELOW