No. 15 Parker Street, Ferniehurst, is a single-storey house constructed in limestone, brick and rendered brick, with a hipped and gabled, tiled roof. It is an excellent example of a residence in the Federation Bungalow style constructed in the Inter-War period. The place has a generously proportioned plan with a wide entrance corridor, generous vestibule and four very fine and intact front rooms. The other original rooms are well proportioned but are less finely detailed and have been modified in a variety of ways over time. Ferniehurst features fine plaster detailing to arches, cornices, and ceiling roses, a variety of fireplaces and surrounds, and original faux bois internal joinery. The interior finishes contribute to the fine aesthetic qualities of the place. They have generally been painted a small number of times so that the detailing retains its original sharp lines. The exterior surfaces have been maintained in original condition and retain their authentic visual qualities. The front elevation is symmetrically planned with a full-width, return, hipped-roof verandah. The verandah is supported on timber posts with brackets. A gable is located centrally in the verandah and marks the entry. The entry door and hopper light are flanked by sidelights and sets of double hung sash windows. The roofscape features rendered chimneys and finials. The place sits on limestone foundations and the walls are face brick with string courses and sill dressings.
The place retains its form and most of its details and plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle-class suburb.
Parker Street was named after Horace Hill Parker, the first Town Clerk of East Fremantle 1897-1944.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute in the comments below.
1926 - 1929: Watson, Alexander
1930 - 1934: Watson, Alexander & Burton, Frederick R.
1934 - 1945: McIntosh, Mrs Anne G. & Burton, Mrs Anne C.
1946: McIntosh, Mrs Anne G. & Kerr, Charles P.
1947 - 1949: Kerr, Charles P.