Inter-War/ Inter-War Commercial with Simple Free Classical Influences
No. 38 Wolsely Road is a residence completed in 2011. The place is located on a corner lot and addresses both Osborne Road and Wolsely Road. The corner shop has been retained and the house has been redeveloped around the shop. It is a single-storey house constructed in brick and rendered brick, with a hipped and gabled, corrugated-iron roof. It is an expression of the Inter-War Free Classical style. The shop has a panelled entrance door on the corner, flanked by shop windows. The lower walls are tiled and the upper walls are rendered. A steel-framed awning follows the line of the building and a panelled parapet extends above the awning.
The place retains its form and some of its details. The surrounding development is in a contemporary style. The awning and wall tiling are reconstructions. The lot has been subdivided and a residence built to the rear, which addresses Wolsely Road.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute in the comments below.
Note: Listed in the SLWA Post Office Directory as 49 Osborne Road.
1933 - 1935: Rasmussen, Mrs F. (mixed business)
1935 - 1937: Hendry, Mrs T. E. (mixed business)
1937 - 1938: Hyde, C. (mixed business)
1938 - 1939: Wade, Charles (mixed business)
1939 - 1941: Eagleton, H. S. (mixed business)
1941 - 1943: Deakin, J. A. (mixed business)
1944 - 1946: Brindley, William P.
1947 - 1949: Ulrich, Henry (grocer)