No 40 Bedford Street is a single storey house constructed in tuck-pointed brick and rendered brick with a hipped tiled roof. It is a fine expression of the Federation Bungalow style. The front elevation is asymmetrically planned with a full width, return broken back roofed verandah. The verandah has been partially enclosed in weatherboards. The verandah is set on turned timber posts. A St Andrew’s cross balustrade spans between the timber posts. The entry door is offset and flanked by three double hung sash windows. The roofscape features a brick chimney. Rendered brick goes to sill level with tuck-pointed brick above.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1920 - 1942: Barrett, William
1942 - 1943: Barrett, William & Gillham, Mrs Gwen
1944 - 1945: Muir, Jon & Gillham, Mrs Gwen
1946 - 1949: Barrett, William