Federation Rustic with Georgian Influences
The Old Police Station is located at 133 Canning Highway and is part of a group of public buildings around the East Fremantle Town Hall. The former East Fremantle Post Office (next door to the police station) is located in a prominent position at the corner of Canning Highway and Stirling Highway (formerly King Street). This group of public buildings was constructed in the Federation Free Classical and Federation Bungalow styles between 1899 and 1902. The former Police Station retains much of its original external detail. The place is a single storey building constructed in limestone and brick with a hipped corrugated iron roof. The place features a police station and quarters, charge room, cell yard, two brick cells and a timber laundry. The group of Public Buildings, East Fremantle represent the historic civic heart of East Fremantle.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1909 - 1914: Police Station (William R. O’Shea, Constable in charge)
1915 - 1925: Police Station (Dan Thompson, Constable in charge)
1926 - 1928: Police Station (Sergeant K. A. Donaldson in charge)
1931 - 1936: Police Station (S. Anderson, Sergeant)
1936 - 1937: Police Station (Sergeant A. H. Trotman)
1937 - 1939: Police Station (S. Anderson, Sergeant)
1939 - 1940: Police Station (Sergeant A. H. Trotman)
1940 - 1942: Police Station (S. Anderson, Sergeant)
1942 - 1944: Police Station (F. M. Shaddick, Sergeant in charge)
1945 - 1947: Police Station (S. Anderson, Sergeant)
1949: Police Station (W. J. Keown, Sergeant in charge)