House, 96A Forrest Street is a single storey timber and iron house constructed as a simple variation of the Federation Bungalow style of Architecture. The walls are timber framed and clad with timber weatherboards. The roof is hipped and corrugated iron clad. The front verandah sits under an extension of the main roof, although at a different pitch. The verandah is supported by chamfered timber posts. The front façade has a timber entry door and three timber casement windows.
“For nearly sixty years Mrs Jessie Grimshaw wrote letters to the local Perth papers, about issues that were important to her; putting her comment before the public and making them think. She posted a letter several times a week over six decades of social change and her opinions were valued- she challenged spiritedly, on their behalf everything she considered not in the public’s good.” From Reflections, Profiles of 150 women who helped make Western Australia’s History, edited by Daphne Popham, 1979. (see story under Notable People)
Jessie Tait married John Henry Grimshaw in either 1915 or 1916. Their family lived at 173 Forrest St, East Fremantle from 1927. This became no 96 Forrest from 1937. Jessie and John had 5 children: Jessie Henrietta (1916- 1994), John Alexander ‘Jack’ (b. 1917), Dorothy Elizabeth (b. 1920), William Thomas (b. 1920) Henry C (b. 1926).