Federation Bungalow and Federation Free Classical
No 41 Dalgety Street is a single storey shop and attached house. The place is constructed in brick and rendered brick with a hipped corrugated iron roof. It is a fine expression of the both the Federation Free Classical style (shop) and Federation Bungalow style (house).
The shop has a corner entrance with a pair of three panel doors. The door is flanked on each street frontage by timber framed display windows. There is a suspended skillion roofed canopy over these openings. A rendered parapet wall extends above the canopy and features an entablature that includes dentils. The masonry has been painted. The roofscape features a rendered chimney.
The house adopts the bungalow style. The facade features a part width verandah supported on timber posts with brackets. There is a front door and hopper light flanked by sidelights and windows. The roofscape features rendered chimneys.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1925 - 1938: McCloskey, Bernd (grocer)
1938 - 1940: McGlosky, Mrs M. A. (grocer)
1940 - 1946: Elliott, R. J. (mixed business)
1947: Loukes & Nicholas (mixed business)
1949: Loukes, Frank (mixed business)