Late Federation / Inter-War
Domestic Carpenter Bungalow
No 40 Clayton Street is a single storey house constructed in timber framing and weatherboard cladding with a hipped corrugated iron roof. It is an expression of the Federation Bungalow style. It is asymmetrically composed with a full width return bull-nose roofed verandah. The verandah is supported on timber posts. A St Andrew’s cross balustrade spans between the posts. The return verandah features some timber lattice screens. There is a central door and hopper light flanked by pairs of double hung sash windows. The roofscape features a tall brick chimney.
The place retains its form and most of its details. There are additions to the rear and a garage to the south. The lot has been subdivided and a residence built to the rear.
The place plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle class suburb.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1927 - 1928: Porter, Lambert.
1929 - 1930: Wright, Mrs. Eliza.
1931 - 1949: Porter, Lambert.