Glanville's Building

Glanville’s Building (map)

ARCHITECTURE

Federation Free Classical

Glanville's Building is located at 34-36 Canning Highway and 5A & 5B Riverside Road, Glanville's Building is a brick residence with rendered details and low-pitched corrugated iron roof that is concealed by a dominant decorative, flamboyant parapet. It is a very fine and eccentric expression of the Federation Free Classical style. The street elevation accommodated two shopfronts with entrance doors and modest windows. Glanville's Buildings exhibits many of architect Hitchcock's 'signature' details. Spread over a two storey facade the contrast of stucco decoration against tuck-pointed brickwork is quite striking and quite unlike any other building in Perth.

HISTORY

Glanville’s Building, 34-36 Canning Highway and 5A & 5B Riverside Rd East Fremantle, was built in 1902 by Norman Hitchcock for Mr Henry Charles Glanville, a chemist of Market Street, Fremantle, in 1902. The ground floor (street level) of the building housed two shops: a pharmacy from which Mr Glanville dispensed his potions, and a tailor shop operated by Rummer and Sweet. The basement and upper floors of the building were used for storage and the Glanville family's accommodation. The Glanville family owned the building until 1946. It was renovated in 1981 and was entered on the State Heritage Register with permanent listing in 1994.

The Glanville's Buildings, although altered internally, is the best example of the work of architect Hitchcock. Hitchcock designed a number of terrace houses in Melbourne however, Glanville's Buildings is the only known three-story example by Hitchcock in Western Australia. Other Hitchcock buildings in the East Fremantle area include: the 'George Street Mews', 107-121 George Street; terrace houses at 46-52 King Street; two semi-detached houses at 25-27 Sewell Street and a gable fronted detached house in Hubble Street. Hitchcock also built the National Hotel in Fremantle.

RESIDENTS

1909 - 1911: Mrs. H. Glanville (draper), Henry C. Glanville (chemist)

1912: Henry C. Glanville (chemist)

1913: Henry C. Glanville (chemist), Mrs C. Glanville (dressmaker)

1914 - 1915: Henry C. Glanville (chemist)

1916: Henry C. Glanville (chemist), Mrs. H. Glanville (draper)

1917 - 1918: Mrs. C. D. Glanville (draper)

1919 - 1920: Mrs. J. Ross (greengrocer), Albert Elliot (plumber)

1921: Mrs. C. Griffiths (stre), Mrs. Rose Howson, F. J. Spencer (ptmbr)

1922: Mrs S. Lancaster (stre), Rummer & Sweet (tirs)

1923 - 1927: Mrs. C. Gardner (dressmaker), Rummer & Sweet (tirs)

1928 - 1930: Public Works Department; Rummer & Sweet (tirs)

1931 - 1934: W. E. Caple (wire wks), Rummer & Sweet (tirs)

1934 - 1937: W. E. Caple (wire wks), Vacant

1937 - 1938: W. E. Caple, (wire wks), Ernest Roberts

1938 - 1941: Vacant

1941 - 1942: Mrs. Elizabeth Fardig, Mrs. Nancy Ross

1942 - 1945: Mrs. Elizabeth Fardig, Vacant

1946 - 1947: William Brennan, Miss Amy McIber

1949: William Brennan & Mrs. Grant, Mrs. Dawson

Courtesy of the Town of East Fremantle Heritage Trail, Artist:  Miles Noel   “This Hitchcock designed building was built in 1902 for Mr Henry Charles Glanville, a Fremantle chemist. It is the only known three-storey example of his architecture in WA.”

Courtesy of the Town of East Fremantle Heritage Trail, Artist: Miles Noel

“This Hitchcock designed building was built in 1902 for Mr Henry Charles Glanville, a Fremantle chemist. It is the only known three-storey example of his architecture in WA.”

CONTRIBUTE YOUR STORIES OR IMAGES BELOW