No 250 Canning Highway is a single storey house constructed in brick and rendered brick with a hipped and gabled corrugated iron roof. It is a fine expression of the Inter-War Bungalow style. The house is designed on a grand scale. The place is located on a corner lot that addresses both Canning Highway and Clayton Street. The front elevation is symmetrically planned with a central flat roofed porch flanked by gable bays. The porch is supported on masonry piers. A masonry balustrade with rendered and decorative brick motifs spans between the piers. Stairs from the porch to the garden flank both sides of the porch. The half timbered, gable bays feature flat roofed sunhoods over sets of casement windows. There is a central door under the porch. Lower walls are face brick and the upper walls rendered. The roofscape features render capped chimneys.
The place retains its form and most of its details. The original tiled roof has been replaced with corrugated iron sheeting.
The residence is situated on a sloping site with a low rendered wall and close boarded timber fence on the lot boundary.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1931 - 1934: Campbell W, Abbott (Surgeon Dentist)
1935 - 1941: Carbarns, Don F.
1941 - 1945: Webb, Lindsay W.
1946 - 1949: Fountain, Gordon J.