No 238 Canning Highway is a single storey house constructed in brick and rendered brick with a hipped and gable corrugated iron roof. The place is located on a corner lot that addresses both Canning Highway and Stratford Street. It is a fine expression of the Federation Bungalow style with later modifications. It is asymmetrically composed with a gabled thrust bay to the west side of the house and then a part width return hip roofed verandah. The verandah is supported on timber posts. Sections of the verandah have been enclosed with timber framing and fibro sheeting. The entry door is located on the south face of the thrust bay under the verandah. A wide set of stairs goes from the verandah to the street. The roofscape features a tall painted chimney.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1931 - 1949: Fontaine, Francis E.