No 217-219 Canning Highway is a two storey Masonic lodge constructed in brick and rendered brick with a hipped and gabled tiled roof. It is a fine expression of the Inter-War Free Classical style. The front entrance is a stylised temple with a plinth, pairs of fluted pilasters, an entablature with metopes and then a tympanum, with the Masonic symbol of set square and dividers in bas-relief. The hall is much simpler with brick walls and high level windows for each floor level. There are additions to the rear. The original landscape has been replaced with a car park. The place is consistent with the building pattern in the Precinct. The place plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle class suburb.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
‘Tiffie’ Cooke was a prominent and prolific musician, dancer and dance teacher in East Fremantle in the 1920s and 1930s. ( see her story in the Notable People section). In 1921 she went to train at the Melbourne Royal Academy of Dancing- After returning to Perth, she opened her first dance school in the Victoria Hall in Fremantle, teaching ‘up-to-date’ dancing. (Reference) Concerts by Tiffie’s dancing girls were then given virtually twice a year until 1941. (Reference) Tiffie’s Dance Group performances also featured the singing and dancing talents of her good friend Miss Doris Deary (1900-1983). By 1928 Tiffie and Doris were well known in Perth and Fremantle performing arts circles. Tiffies’ brother Earle and their mother, Elsie, were also involved in the concert performances. (Reference) After 1939 Tiffie began teaching her classes at the Masonic Hall, East Fremantle .