Federation Free Classical / Federation Bungalow / Arts and Crafts Influences
The former East Fremantle Post Office is located at 101 Canning Highway in a prominent position at the corner of Canning Highway and Stirling Highway (formerly King Street). The former Post Office is a finely designed two storey Federation Classical style building. Most of its exterior and interior detailing are still intact. It is constructed in brick and rendered brick with a corrugated iron roof. There is a brick construction former mail room to the rear, which also accommodated amenities and cycle storage. The floor is replacement granolithic. The rear elevation features a two storey verandah that has been mostly enclosed. The roofscape features a stout rendered chimney. A large face brick house with upper surfaces of pebble and dash stucco, symmetrical street elevation with projecting central gabled bay. Arts and Craft influence in the mitred hipped slate roof, elevations and chimney design.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1909: Post & Telegraph Office (J. Twine, Postmaster)
1910: Post & Telegraph Office (Albert C. Twine, Postmaster)
1911 - 1912: Post & Telegraph Office
1913 - 1918: Post & Telegraph Office with Sav Bk (John J. J. Thomas, Postmaster)
1919 - 1920: Post & Telegraph Office with Sav Bk (Charles A. Easton)
1921: Post & Telegraph Office with Sav Bk (Eugene Egan, Postmaster)
1922 - 1930: Post & Telegraph Office with Sav Bk (H. G. Stedman, Postmaster)
1931 - 1943: Post & Telegraph Office with Sav Bank
1944 - 1949: East Fremantle Post Office