Town Hall & Chambers

Town Hall & Chambers (map)

ARCHITECTURE

Federation Free Classical

The Town Hall & Chambers is located at 135 Canning Highway and is part of several Public Buildings in East Fremantle, built between 1899 - 1902.

The Town Hall has a fine façade rendered in the federation free classical style. The place is a two-storey building constructed in limestone and rendered-brick with a hipped corrugated-iron roof. The ground floor elevation features arched-head, timber-panelled doors, flanked by pairs of low-arched head windows set over a rendered plinth.

HISTORY

The funeral of the late Mr. John Taaffe, employee of the East Fremantle Council, took place yesterday afternoon, and was very largely attended. The cortege left his late residence. Duke-street, East Fremantle, for the Fremantle Cemetery, where the re-mains were interred in the Roman Catholic portion. The chief mourners were Mrs. Taaffe (widow), Kathleen Taaffe (daughter), Mrs. James (sister-in-law), Mrs. Purcell (mother-in-law). and Messrs. D. James and J. Purcell. The pall-bearers were Messrs. R Thompson (Mayor), H. Parker (Town Clerk), C. Glasson (Health Inspector), J. Doyle. M. Fahey, and A. Corish. The coffin bearers were his fellow-employees, Messrs. F. Jarvis. J. Grady, E. Ellwood, and P. Rush. (reference)

RESIDENTS

1909 - 1945: East Fremantle Town Hall

1947 - 1949: East Fremantle Municipal Council

Courtesy of the Town of East Fremantle Heritage Trail, Artist:  Miles Noel   “One of a group of public buildings (with the “Police Station” & “Post Office”) built between 1899 & 1902. This is the civic heart of the Town of East Fremantle.”

Courtesy of the Town of East Fremantle Heritage Trail, Artist: Miles Noel

“One of a group of public buildings (with the “Police Station” & “Post Office”) built between 1899 & 1902. This is the civic heart of the Town of East Fremantle.”

CONTRIBUTE YOUR STORIES OR IMAGES BELOW