Federation / Inter-War
Federation Bungalow with Filigree Influences
No 46 May Street is a single-storey house constructed in limestone, brick and rendered brick with a corrugated iron hipped roof. It is a fine expression of the Federation Filigree style. It is symmetrically composed with a full-width return hip roofed verandah. The verandah is supported on turned timber posts. A timber filigree frieze and timber balustrade spans between the posts. The house is set on limestone foundations. A broad set of steps descend to the garden. There is a central door and hopper light flanked by sidelights and French double hung sash windows. The roofscape features a render capped chimney.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute in the comments below.
1918: Cannon, Walter A.
1919 - 1937: Harwood, John G.
1937 - 1938: Williamson, Samuel G.
1938 - 1939: Pitcher, William C.
1939 - 1949: Chalmers, James M.