Locke Park is located at 44 Moss Street on the corner of Fletcher and Moss Street. The park is laid out geometrically with a central timber gazebo, four Washingtonia Palms, and a number of mature Peppermint trees. A hedge replaces the original Victorian Ti Tree hedge (see article below).
Locke Park is named after Herbert John Locke (1864-1944) was Mayor of East Fremantle 1924-31, 1934-44.
1947 Memorial Garden: A distinctive design marks the memorial garden now being formed at Locke Park on the East Fremantle recreation ground. To be dedicated to citizens who died on war service, the garden takes the design of a map of Australia. It is outlined in Victorian ti-tree, which is to be kept trimmed to a height of two feet, and the "States" are marked by paths constructed of small concrete blocks. Rose-bushes,for which the beds are now being prepared, will be planted during the winter. At the foot of the main design a bed of trimmed rosemary forms the device: "Lest We Forget." Measuring about 20 yards each way, the garden is set amid couch grass lawns. An elevated view can be gained from a rotunda situated directly beneath the design. On a ti-tree hedge in the background the figure of a kangaroo appears. The project was put into execution by the East Fremantle Municipal Council a fortnight ago following representations to local authorities from the National Rose Society urging the formation of rose gardens. The design adopted was conceived by the council's head gardener (Mr. J. G. Brown), who is supervising the work. (reference)
1949 Ornamental Tree: Mr. J. G. Brown, head gardener for the East Fremantle Municipal Council trims a ti-tree into the shape of a kangaroo In Locke Park. He has also grown several other shrubs with the appearance of swans. (reference) See image.