Interwar / Bungalow w Georgian Influences
No 40 Irwin Street is a single storey house constructed in limestone and rendered brick with a hipped corrugated iron roof. It is a fine expression of the Inter-War Bungalow style. The front elevation is symmetrically planned with a central door and hopper light flanked by double hung sash windows. The facade features a full width skillion roofed verandah supported on timber posts. A vertical timber balustrade spans between the posts. The walls are limestone with rendered quoins and sills. The roofscape features a pair of rendered chimneys. There are concrete stairs from the verandah to the garden.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1924 - 1926: Masters, Lionel D.
1927 - 1928: Macgregor, William
1929 - 1932: Groves, Patrick
1933 - 1937: Groves, James
1937 - 1938: Grady, Cecil
1938 - 1949: Groves, James