Federation / Federation Gable Domestic Carpenter
Angwin House is located at 3 (previously was 15) Glyde Street and is a single-storey cottage constructed in timber framing and clad in rusticated and feather-edged weatherboards. It has a hipped and gabled, corrugated-iron roof. It is a fine expression of the Federation Bungalow style. The front elevation is symmetrically planned with a central front door and side and hopper lights flanked by bay windows.
This house was the home of William Charles Angwin (8 May 1863 – 9 June 1944) and his family from 1909 until 1936.
William Angwin was born in Cornwall, England, and worked as a carpenter and builder before moving to Australia with his wife Sarah Ann Sumpton, (first to Victoria in 1886 and then to Western Australia in 1892). He first worked as a carpenter for Sandover & Co. He had two sons and two daughters.
Angwin was a founding member of the East Fremantle Municipal Council on which he served as a counselor for 30 years. He was Mayor from 1902 until 1904.
He was also a member of the Western Australian Legislative Assembly for the Labor Party from 1904 until 1927, representing the seats of East Fremantle and North-East Fremantle.
When Labor came to power under John Scaddan at the 1911 election, Angwin was made an honorary minister in the Scaddan Ministry. After the 1914 election, he became Minister for Works, in which he served until the ministry's defeat in a vote of confidence on 27 July 1916. He served on the Fremantle Municipal Tramway and Electric Lighting Board, the War Patriotic Fund for WA and the Fremantle Public Hospital Board during this time.
1913 At the North Fremantle Municipal function Mr. Angwin said "he looked forward to the time when the Fremantle harbor would be extended riverwards in order to cope with the increase of shipping accommodation, and was of opinion that if the extension went as far as Rocky Bay it would be a most economical move, and one that would be in the best interests of the State as a whole." (reference)
1919 The many friends of Private P. J. Keane, of the 28th Battalion, will be pleased to hear that he returned after three years' active service, on the s.s. City of Exeter, on Saturday, 16th August. He looks none the worse for his experiences, and was accorded an enthusiastic welcome by his relatives and friends at his aunt's residence, 15 Glyde-street, East Fremantle. (reference)
Angwin was Deputy Premier of Western Australia from 1924 until 1927, and Agent-General for Western Australia in London from 1927 until 1933.
1927 NORTH-EAST FREMANTLE. C. Angwin, 15 Glyde-street East Fremantle (A.L.P.), unopposed. (reference)
1927 The funeral of the late Mrs. Mary Jane Sumpton, an octogenarian, relict of the late Jacob Sumpton, and a respected resident of East Fremantle for the last 34 years, was largely attended. The flag at the Fremantle Town Hall was flown at half-mast during the day. Mrs. Sumpton was born at Whitehaven, England, and was a daughter of the late Captain James Young of Whitehaven. The funeral cortege moved from the residence of the Hon. W. C. Angwin (Agent-General for Western Australia), 15 Glyde-street, East Fremantle, and proceeded to the local cemetery. (reference)
1931 ANGWIN (nee Connie Mellows). — On September 24, at St. Helen's Hospital, Moss-street, East Fremantle, to Mr. and Mrs. Justus Angwin, of 15 Glyde-street, East Fremantle- a son (William Charles). Both well. (reference)
1944 Angwin died on 9 June in East Fremantle, and was buried in the Methodist section of Fremantle Cemetery. A street near the East Fremantle council chambers is named after him.
1909 - 1911: Angwin, William C., M.L.A.
1912 - 1927: Angwin, William .C, J.P. M.L.A.
1928: Angwin, William C., J.P.
1929 - 1932: Thomas, Mrs Lizzie
1933 - 1936: Angwin, W. C.
1936 - 1949: Capes, William J.