Federation Free Classical
Royal George Hotel is located at 34 George Street (previously was no. 78) on Duke street was built in 1885, is a two-storey, Federation Free Classical style brick and limestone corner Hotel building. The cupola is a rare example still in its original form. The basement levels are a rare - coach house and workshop areas are incorporated with cellar facilities underneath the hotel building.
The Royal George Hotel was built in 1901 by builder J. Vetter at a cost of £5,200 for the Mulcahy Bros, father and son, who had come to WA from Ireland during the 1890s gold rush, and from the Royal George they could see their home Knocknagow in Preston Point Road. For a full description of the Royal George Hotel when it was first built please read this wonderful article in: (reference)
‘‘Bonafide travellers’’ a liquor licensing law which only allowed travellers to drink on Sundays affected many hotels including the Royal George:
1919 Sunday Trading—William Minett, licensee of the Royal George Hotel, was charged with having served non bonafide travellers during prohibited hours on Sunday, March 30. See: (reference)
1940 Drinking after hours- Gerald Garrett Prenderville, licensee of the Royal George Hotel, East Fremantle, was fined in the Fremantle Police Court yesterday with having kept his licensed premises open for the sale of liquor after 9 p.m. on November 30. Prenderville pleaded guilty to this and another charge of failing to keep a register of lodgers. For the latter offence he was cautioned and ordered to pay 3/ costs. See: (reference)
1946 Licensee Frederick Robert Mann, of the Royal George Hotel, East Fremantle, was fined in Fremantle Police Court today on charges involving Sunday trading. See: (reference)
In 1983, Main Roads WA wanted to demolish the building as part of the Stirling Highway construction. The building was saved by ratepayers and the East Fremantle Council. The Council spent millions on restoring the building and in 1989 the Royal George won a Heritage award. In 2004, Labor politician Alannah MacTiernan gave it to the National Trust WA, on terms never made public.
Currently a controversial development project is in play and the empty building has been vandalised and boarded up.
1909 - 1910: Royal Hotel (Mulcahy, T.)
1911 - 1912: Royal Hotel (Stack, Thomas)
1913 - 1915: Royal Hotel (Cooper, Alexander C.)
1917 - 1919: Royal George Hotel (Cooper, Alexander C.)
1920 - 1921: Royal George Hotel (Minett, William)
1922 - 1936: Royal George Hotel (Mitchell, D. C.)
1936 - 1940: Royal George Hotel (Bursey, B. M.)
1940 - 1947: Royal George Hotel (Prendiville, G. G.)
1949: Royal George Hotel (Daly, Victor B.)
1983-2004: East Fremantle Council
2004: National Trust WA