No 17 Angwin Street is a single storey house constructed in limestone, brick and rendered brick with a hipped and gable corrugated zinc roof. It is a fine expression of the Federation Bungalow style, though much of what gives it its current appearance is the outcome of works completed between 1996-98. At this time the place was modified to have Federation Filigree elements. It is asymmetrically composed with a full width return hip roofed verandah. The verandah is supported on turned timber posts with timber filigree work. The verandah is a reconstruction and extension of the original verandah. A vertical timber balustrade spans between the posts and is also a reconstruction. A half-timbered gable is located on the verandah, which is an original feature. As a result of an extension to the north the gable is located centrally. Below the gable is a bay window featuring double hung sash windows. The bay window is flanked by further double hung sashes, though the window to the south was originally French doors. The roof features brick and rendered chimneys. The northern chimney is a later addition. The place is located on a steep sloping site and addresses the river. As a result the elevation to Angwin Street is largely ignored. To accommodate the slope of the site the house is set on limestone foundations. Walls are brick with render string courses and sills.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle. If you have any stories or information about this property, please contribute it in the comments below.
1913 - 1931: Augier, Mrs. Gertrude
1933 - 1935: Augier, Mrs. Gertrude & Christie, Mrs. Gertrude
1935 - 1937: Clark, Walter A.
1937 - 1938: Johnson
1938 - 1942: Plummer, Reginald
1942 - 1949: Fletcher, Doug