No 177 Canning Highway is a single storey house constructed in painted and rendered brick with a hipped and gable tiled roof. It is a fine expression of the Inter-War California Bungalow style. The front elevation is asymmetrically planned with a part width, timbered, gabled verandah. The verandah is the dominant feature of the place. The verandah is supported on paired timber posts set on battered limestone piers. A rendered balustrade spans between the piers. Steps go from the driveway up to the verandah. The roofscape features a brick chimney and finials. The central entry is a pair of glazed doors flanked to the west by a further pair. To the east there is a bay window with casement lights.
The place retains its form and its details. There are additions to the rear.
The place is consistent with the building pattern in the Precinct. The place plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle class suburb.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle.
1929-1934: Barrett Wm C
1934-1941: Hevron Denny W
1941-1942: Hevron Mrs Agnes
1942-1946: Smith Michl H
1949: Hevron Denis W & Hevron Mrs Agnes