No 169 Canning Highway is a single storey house constructed in rendered brick with a hipped and gable decramastic tiled roof. The front elevation is asymmetrically planned with a thrust gable bay and a part width hip roofed verandah. The verandah is set on timber posts. A vertical timber balustrade spans between the posts and terminates at the gabled thrust bay. There is a central door and hopper light flanked by a side light and double hung sash windows. The half timbered thrust bay features an arched window. The roofscape features a pair of render capped chimneys. The garden has been replaced by a car park.
The place retains its form and some of its details. There are additions to the rear and the house has been rendered at a later stage.
The place is consistent with the building pattern in the Precinct. The place plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle class suburb.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle.
1917: Boulter, Mrs M
1918 - 1920: Boulter, Wm L
1921 - 1924: Payne Fredk W, "Montrose"
1925: Newson H S
1926 - 1932: Newson Hy Saml
1933 - 1941: Cook Herbert L
1942 - 1949: Nicholson Jos, inspr police