No 162-172 Canning Highway is a set of single storey shops constructed in rendered masonry with skillion metal deck roofs. The roofs are skillion roofs behind a rendered parapet wall. It is a good example of the Federation Free Classical style. The place is a set of six shops with a full width, return skillion roofed awning. The awning is suspended off the front facade. A parapet wall extends above the awning. Parts of the parapets are treated with classical entablatures. All shops retain stall boards and some retain ingoes indented entries. The majority of the shopfronts have authentic metal-framed windows and highlights.
The place retains its form and most of its details. There are additions to the rear. The rear of the lot has been converted into a car park.
The place is consistent with the building pattern in the Precinct. The place plays an important role in the pattern of development of a middle class suburb.
CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS Walls – Rendered masonry
Roof – Metal deck
PHYSICAL SETTING The place is located on a flat site. The shops are located on the lot boundary.
Research on the history of this property is currently under way by the Museum of Perth in partnership with the Town of East Fremantle.
1910 : Hatch Miss F
1911 : 1913 : Machin Ernst
1914 : Bateman Jno
1915 : Donovan Edwd
1916 - 1917 : Donovan, Mrs C
1918 : 1919 - 1920 : Baldry, Leslie
1921 : 1922 - 1923 : Emery Bros, btchrs
1924 : 1925 - 1926 : Stafford Mrs Ann
1927 - 1928 : Vacant
1929 : 1931 - 1932 : Thomson. Mrs D, drsmkr
1933 : Jones, J, btmkr
1934 - 1935 : Gay Mrs A M, drskmr
1936 - 1937 : Vacant
1938 - 1942 : Chester Harry, bt repr
1944 - 1949 : Byers Regd, bt repr