A brief History of mARMION Street
The north side of Marmion Street was made the the southern boundary of the East Fremantle municipality in 1934. Therefore only houses with even numbers are included on this website.
It was named after William Edward Marmion (1845 – 1896) who was a Fremantle born merchant and politician. He was a MLC from 1870 to 1890 and a MLA from 1890 to 1896. For three decades in the late 19th Century there was scarcely an industry not touched by William Marmion either personally, or through his political influence. By 21 he was a master in the mercantile service. Through his company, WE Marmion and Co, he held interests in the pastoral, pearling and maritime industries. When gold was discovered in the Yilgarn district he sold stores to prospectors and formed several of his own mining companies. In 1873 he was elected to the Legislative Assembly for the seat of Fremantle — a position he held until his death in 1896. It was through politics that he became influential. Marmion was appointed Commissioner for Crown Lands and Minister for Mines in 1890 and sat on more than 100 select committees and royal commissions.
Search for a property
Tip: You can search for an entire street, a specific street address, architectural style, responsible architect or a family name.